Monday, October 25, 2010

UFC 121 weigh-in: Shields is finally in the big show

The resume is impressive and so is the 14-fight win streak but for Jake Shields there's always been something missing. He's respected by the hardcore fans and much of the MMA media and Shields is even on some top 10 pound-for-pound lists but he was never going to get a crack at the most highly regarded guys at 170 pounds like Georges St. Pierre, Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch fighting outside of the UFC. Tonight, he gets to take the first step in a tough fight against Martin Kampmann at UFC 121. He's fired up but also knows what's at stake.

"I feel a lot of pressure to go out there and give a great performance," Shields said. "When I first started, I figured I'd be here in a year, so it took a little longer than I thought. ... It's been a long, hard road for me. I'm new to the UFC, but I've been at it for 11 years. I need to show a lot of people who I am."

The 31-year-old is no rookie but you get the sense he feels like he just got called up to the bigs. 

"It feels great. It feels like where I belong," said Shields. "The differences are just way more media attention, way more hype, way more professionalism."

Strikeforce is a solid promotion but its matchmaking can be limited because of a smaller roster. Shields couldn't fight for the Strikeforce title at welterweight because his training partner Nick Diaz holds the belt and there's was nothing juicy waiting for him at middleweight after upsetting Dan Henderson. Plus Shields grew tired of sitting on the sidelines for long periods of time and then getting very little notice before a fight.  

"(The UFC) tell(s) you what you're doing and when you're doing it. They have staff. I don't mean that as a knock on Strikeforce. They're just not as organized. It's just nice to be in organization that's so together," said Shields.

Most of the Strikeforce current roster and management won't take those comments the wrong way. Put aside announcer Frank Shamrock, who openly expressed his dislike of Shields, the rest of the guys sounded like they want to see the Cesar Gracie do well. 

"I think most of the guys there are rooting for me, there's mostly good people. I'd say the majority of them are. There could be a few guys there rooting against me but I think overall they're mostly good people," Shields told Fanhouse's Ariel Helwani. "We had a few differences in the end and I bet most of them would like to see me succeed. It also makes Strikeforce look good."

UFC 121 weigh-in (Courtesy MMAjunkie):
Pay-Per-View
Brock Lesnar (264) v. Cain Velasquez (244)
Martin Kampmann (170) v. Jake Shields (170.5)
Diego Sanchez (170.5) v. Paulo Thiago (170.5)
Matt Hamill (203.5) v. Tito Ortiz (206)
Gabriel Gonzaga (254) v. Brendan Schaub (239)

Spike TV
Ryan Jensen (185) v. Court McGee (184.5)
Patrick Cote (185) v. Tom Lawlor (185)

Un-televised
Sam Stout (155.5) v. Paul Taylor (155)
Mike Guymon (170) v. Daniel Roberts (170)
Chris Camozzi (185) v. Dongi Yang (186)
Jon Madsen (254.5) v. Gilbert Yvel (249)

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/UFC-121-weigh-in-Shields-is-finally-in-the-big-?urn=mma-279312

Pocket billiards (pool) Eight-ball Blackball Nine-ball Straight pool (14.1 continuous)

No comments:

Post a Comment