Thursday, February 3, 2011

Honest Forrest: 'I'm ranked nothing' and 'I'm terrified'

Forrest Griffin isn't anywhere close to the best fighter in the UFC, but he's still one of the most popular with fans in spite of being away from active fighting since late 2009. He's also winless since the middle of 2008.

The former light heavyweight champ faces Rich Franklin, another fan favorite on Saturday at UFC 126. The crowd will be torn. Do they root for the likable Franklin or the everyman Griffin?

Griffin thinks he's understand that connection he has with the fans.

"I kind of say what people are thinking," Griffin told MMAHeat's Karyn Bryant (2:00 mark). "I don't really say, 'I'm gonna try me best.' (I say) 'yeah, I'm terrified. Fighting in front of thousands of people is scary and there's a lot of money at stake. And I'll be honest, I want that money. It's important.'"

Griffin was up front about his nerves entering the Octagon after a 14-month layoff. The massive 205 pounder was sidelined after shoulder surgery and had to restrict his physical activity for months. Describing his return to the cage, Griffin threw out an interesting analogy to the Las Vegas Sun's Case Keefer.

"You’re like that if you haven’t done something in a year," Griffin said. 'Think of the time you went without sex for a year. You were nervous to get back out there."

Griffin said it's been 10 years since he's had a break this long. He said 2010 sucked because most of his problems were beyond his control. 

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Honest-Forrest-I-m-ranked-nothing-and-I-m-te?urn=mma-316329

Sandboarding Snowkiting Surfing Swing boarding Wakesurfing

No comments:

Post a Comment